Thursday, February 28, 2013

Lenten Love #14


“Then he went a short distance farther and feel on his face and prayer, “My Father, if it’s possible, take this cup of suffering away from me. However – not what I want but what you want.” (Matthew 26:39 CEB)

This is probably a strange passage to find comfort in.  Here our Savior is at his most vulnerable, as human as human can be, and it brings me strength.  You see, I appreciate that I worship a God who is not distant and far removed from my situation in life.  That he faced life and said, “Why does it have to be this way?” just as I do and just as many of you do as well.  And where many of us stop, at the crying out part, he set the stage for us to us take the next step and say, “but not what we want, rather what you want God.”

I firmly believe that when we become less selfish, the world will improve.  When we stop insisting on always getting our way, when we actually sacrifice a little bit, like Christ talked over and over about, I believe the world will start following suit.  And day by day, the world will start looking a lot more like what God wants it to look like.  That is my hope.  That is my dream.  That’s what keeps me going. So when my mind says, “if possible take this cup,” my heart follows up and says, “Not what I want, but what you want Lord.”

Blessings,
Brad
<><

No comments: