Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Lenten Love #6


Today has been one of those days that began in a rush and has not really let up.  With a meeting later tonight, it will be a completely full day.  I’m sure more than one of you can relate to these kind of days.  They come around at fairly consistent rate.

The temptation when we have these kind of days is to call them busy.  I struggle with this response.  When someone asks me, “How are you doing?” I’m tempted to say, “Busy.”  It’s as if I want someone to think that I am of some great worth because I am doing ‘so much’.  I’m realizing that a response like that is catering to my need to be needed.

I think the reality that we discover within the Gospel is that we are of sacred worth, not because of what we do, but rather because God created us in God’s image.  Sure, I need to love and to do stuff because that’s answering God’s call.  But I do that ‘stuff’ in response to God’s love, grace, and forgiveness in my life, not to earn God’s love.  

So let’s think of it in a slightly different way.  What if God called to check in with us one day.  Would we respond, like I often do, with a simple ‘busy’? My hope and prayer is that  you and I begin to see the joy and blessings that await each day and to realize that some days hope more joy and blessings than other.  And as we reframe our ‘full’ days, may we more and more become the people God wants us to be, people of sacred worth.

No comments: