Friday, March 29, 2013

Lenten Love #37


“The messenger said, ‘Don’t stretch out your hand against the young man, and don’t do anything to him. I now know that you revere God and didn’t hold back your son, your only son, from me’.” - Genesis 22:12

This is how the story of Abraham sacrificing Isaac ends.  Abraham is asked to do an act that simply repulses many of us today.  I’m really not sure I’ve met anyone who has kids who can stomach this story.  I know I struggle with it.

I cannot imagine having to go to such lengths to prove ourselves to God that we are that faithful. Maybe we are asked, and maybe not many of us live up to it.  Maybe we aren’t asked it such grand terms, yet we still fail.

But here’s what I know with a great deal of certainty: While Abraham proved himself faithful to God and his son was spared, God proves God’s own faithfulness to humanity in the very act of NOT sparing his Son.  That’s all I know.  And even trying to explain the theological meaning behind it all causes my brain to start to hurt. 

So on this Good Friday, let’s give thanks for the sacrifice of both the Father and the Son. For today, that’s enough.

Blessings,
B
<><

No comments: