Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Lenten Love #26


“You are only a human being.  Who do you think you are to talk back to God? Does the clay say to the potter, ‘Why did you make me like this’?” Romans 9:20

Paul’s admonition to the Christians at Rome comes off as sounding harsh.  I’ll admit, it rubbed me the wrong way when I read it this morning.  Then I found myself scolding my son after he angrily yelled at me, “NO!” “You do not talk to daddy like that” I found myself saying. As these words left my lips, I thought, “that sounds familiar.”

We often times like to think of God as the unconditionally loving parent.  And while I will always stand by that image, there are still consequences and repercussions for our actions when we go and do things that are not pleasing to God.  A gentle reminder, or not-so-gentle in Paul's case, is needed from time to time.  Lent offers us a wonderful opportunity, as we hold our lives up to the Light of Christ, for us to remember that there are times in our lives in which we act ‘too big for our britches’ as the old saying goes.

May we heed the gentle as well as the forceful reminders, as we continue to grow into the people that God wants us to be and that the world needs us to be.

Blessings,
Brad
<><

No comments: