Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Lenten Love #18


“We have access by faith into this grace in which we stand through him, and we boast in the hope of God’s glory.  But no only that! We even take pride in our problems, because we know that trouble produces endurance, endurance produces character, and character produces hope. This hope doesn’t put us to shame.” Romans 5:2-5a

I remember teaching this passage to a group of middle schoolers many years ago as a college student working in a church.  I wanted the kids to know that their troubles were not in vain and to endure the difficulties they faced.  I’m hoping that a few of them took that teaching to heart.

Thirteen years later, I think to myself, what crazy problems must I have been thinking about as a college student talking to middle schoolers?  I’m sure at the time they were huge and intimidating.  But in perspective, my problems back then, much like many issues that I face to this day, pale in comparison to what many others face.

This fact does not help us in the moment of our struggle and suffering.  Perspective is only gained over time.  And in due time, with the right perspective, our issues are changed.  I think this is exactly how and why Paul could write what he did to the church at Rome.  He knew that in time the issues that those faithful people faced would produce faithful followers, either those who would lay their lives down as martyrs or those that would live laying the foundation that we now stand on.

For us and our issues, what will be said about the way we handled them when we look back?  With the right perspective, and the grace poured out upon us by Jesus’ sacrifice, may we too be people of Hope!

Blessings,
Brad
<><

No comments: