Thursday, April 26, 2012



Somebody recently tweeted this poster that was up in a local elementary school.  The person commented, “I think this is funny.”  I’m sure that most people, myself included, chuckled a little bit when you first read the sign.  We can all think of people whom this sign would be useful, people whose body odor was bad. 

As I reflected on it more, my heart began to hurt a little bit.  This was at an ELEMENTARY SCHOOL.  I’m sure that there are some really well off children who refuse to take a bath and stink.  Maybe one day my kids will rebel against baths. But what I worry about, more than those kids, are the ones who will read the sign who have not bathed because of issues like poverty and parents who struggle with addiction and such.  My heart breaks for kids who are already struggling at a young age because the almighty dollar is such a major driver of everything in our society.  In fact, I’m not sure that the sign is appropriate at all because some of the time, the kids who read this sign are not in complete control of their situation. 

Maybe I’m being too sensitive.  And if that is the case so be it.  As I have preached before, my prayer is that our hearts would break for the things that break God’s heart. Maybe this is one of those times.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That reminds me of a couple of kids when I was in 1st grade. They definitely didn't choose to smell bad, but the kids definitely didn't take that into account when we made fun of them... Seems inappropriate for sure.