Monday, May 7, 2012

What we don't need

Before meals we sing the blessing in our home.  It probably goes by many names, but I learned it as 'The Johnny Appleseed' prayer.  That really doesn't work for it now b/c we don't talk about apple trees anymore since we changed the words.  It goes like this:
OH, the Lord's been good to me.
And so I thank the Lord.
For giving me the things I need.
The food and the friends and family,
The Lord's been good to me.
Hallelujah! Amen!

So at dinner the other night, our son, who is going through a state of being very contrary about EVERYTHING sings,
OH, the Lord's been good to me.
And so I thank the Lord,
For giving me the things I don't need...

I just sort of let it go, not wanting to make a big deal, sort of the whole 'not letting him know where I keep my goat' kind of thing.  But as I reflected on it, I wondered, "Does God ever give us things we don't need?"

No comments: