Friday, July 18, 2014

Our time in Austin

So we are in Austin for Gill and Julia's wedding. Gill is the younger brother of Taylor, my (Brad) best friend growing up. I presided over Taylor's wedding a few years back up in Cape Cod. So this year Austin was the destination for Gill's wedding which is tomorrow (Friday) and I have been asked to preside over that as well. That's a quick update as to why we find ourselves in Austin.

So one of the 'just once I'd like to try' things in Austin was to go to Franklin's BBQ. It is widely believed to be the best place for brisket, ribs, and pulled pork in the country. Being from SC, we know a thing or two about pulled pork. That title for Franklin's is debatable at best. So going and waiting in line, I decided I could care less about the pork, I wanted the good stuff. Give me the beef.  The other thing about Franklin's is the line that forms every single day, except on Monday, because, really, who opens on Monday. Apparently no one. Anyways, the wait at Franklin's can be up to five hours long. That's right, I said 5 hours.

So I knew what I was getting into and thankfully Megan decided to hang on to the kiddos, allowing me to go. And to make it even better, Taylor was able to go with me. Arriving at 10:15, we found ourselves very near the back of the line. As the guy came out to get a pound count, he quickly let us know that they were out of pork and ribs. So it looked like just brisket and sausage. And just two people behind us, a girl was handed the 'last man standing' sign. This meant that they could not guarantee anyone else food. They may or may not have it by the end. And they serve until they run out.

Surprisingly, the wait didn't seem that long at all. Probably because Taylor and I spent the time catching up. In fact the three and a half hours really flew by. Before we knew it, we were up front ordering. And luckily, they had some ribs left. All in all we left with 4 lbs. of brisket, a pound of ribs and a pound of sausage. And I had a great time hanging with a great friend.

So what's the verdict on the food? Well, I am not the most eloquent when it comes to describing food. And you can find more reviews that describe it with beautiful words and phrases.  But let me tell you this, it was the best brisket and best ribs I have ever eaten. Hands down. Not even close. Shoot, it very well may be the best food I've ever eaten and I live in Charleston that has some of the best food in the world. So, if you are ever in town and have 5 hours to burn, I promise you, you will not regret it. Bring a friend, a couple of chairs, and wait in line. It is amazing.

We had the rehearsal dinner tonight at a BBQ (go figure). It wasn't bad, but the best part was listening to all the stories and the way in which these two have been impacted and impacted so many people. Tomorrow truly will be a celebration of their love and I am thankful to be a part of it.



The counter at Franklin's. This guy had been to Charleston only few weeks ago and we talked about all the places he'd eaten while he was there. Such a small world.



Me and my boy Taylor




The only real reason why many of you read this stuff. My kids. GBG, IHG, and their friend, Taylor's daughter.

No comments: