Thursday, October 30, 2008

Pastor of a Champion

I love my calling. Now, there are definitely days in which I am not so quick to thank God for calling me into the ministry, but it seems that I am always fed just enough to keep me energized and excited about what I have been chosen to do. I get to see things and be a part of some very interesting things. Today, I found myself in some uncharted territory. I called to ask several of my friends if they had every experienced what I saw today. The conversation went like this, “Have you ever seen a pumpkin seed spitting contest?” “Um, No.” “Well, then that means you have never seen a pumpkin seed spitting contest in which all fifteen competitors were 90 year old women.” That’s right friends and neighbors, I got to experience a group of 90 year old women spitting pumpkin seeds. How great is that? While I was visiting one of our more experienced members at her assisted living community, the activities coordinator came around to gather up the residents for the fun. You should have heard them. They were fussing and complaining. “I don’t know how to spit.” Not true. Everyone knows how to spit. It’s one of the first things we come out of the womb doing (I’m sure I’ll learn more about that in about five weeks.). And sure enough, it didn’t take long for the women to get the hang of it. And not only that, in spite of the complaining, several actually enjoyed it. They would spit and then giggle, like little school girls. It was hilarious. And the best line I’ve heard in quite some time, “Now, don’t spit so hard your dentures come out. The nurse wouldn’t like that at all.” When it was all said and done, my church member actually won, she spit her seed the farthest. She was the champion. Never has there been a more proud pastor. God sure does have a great sense of humor.

No comments: