Friday, August 1, 2008

Saying Goodbye

I was struck by how hard it was saying goodbye to people at the family reunion last weekend. I don’t know them very well, nor have I known them for very long, but I felt a deep sense of connection with them. They are family now, whether I am an in-law or out-law or whatever you want to call me. Sunday morning was hard. I think it was hard because we don’t know when we would see these people again. 727 days is a long time away and a lot can happen between now and then.

It got me thinking, is it possible to say good-bye well? I mean, the whole concept of leaving someone goes against the way in which we have been created, as creatures who crave community and relationships. So naturally, leaving and saying good-bye is awkward at best. This reminds me of a story I heard one time. I don’t know if it is true or not, but supposedly while on his death bed, some of John Wesley’s final words were, “And the best of all God is with us.” Now that’s a cool way to say good-bye. “And the best of all God is with us.”
Brad

No comments: