Wednesday, July 30, 2008

“We’re not in Kansas anymore!”

For those of you who did not know, we’ve been in Kansas since last Wednesday on vacation. That’s right, I said Kansas. For VACATION. Every other year, Megan’s father’s family holds the Stone Family Reunion in Kansas, where it all began, or close to where it all began. I believe it actually began in Oklahoma, but that’s another story. Anyways, it’s quite an impressive gathering of around 90 people, from 9 states, with at least 4 generations present. Having only been present for the last 2, I do not have much experience with the extended family, but I have found them very kind and loving, with a tiny bit of competitive nature sprinkled in there. It is with the last part that makes me feel right at home.

Two events highlight the weekend that is filled with fun and fellowship. Each event finds a winner having his or her name written on a trophy to be carried for one year. The first is the golf tournament that occurs Friday morning. Two winners, low gross and low net (the former being the person’s score, the latter the score when the handicap is factored in). For the second straight reunion, I walked away with the low net score. Shooting 75 (par 71 course) while carrying a 13 handicap makes it pretty easy. There is something about my game and the Hesston golf course that clicks. I cannot explain it. Last reunion I shot 76 with a 15 handicap. Needless to say the word sand-bagger and a few others were thrown my way.

The other event that occurs during the weekend is far more important and far more coveted. It’s the Stone Family Pitch tournament, a mid-west or Kansas card game that nearly no one east of the Mississippi has heard of. I’ve asked, and the answer is always no. It’s kind of like spades and bridge in there is a trump suit and you get to bid and when points with a partner. The Stone family has been playing pitch for a long time and nearly everyone over the age of 15 plays. The tournament is double elimination and this year 24 teams competed. The winner has their name written on a water dipper that was on the Stone Family Ranch many years ago. Needless to say, the tournament is a big deal and a lot of people watch the final couple of games. You also draw your partner at random. I managed to get paired with my sister-in-law Abby. And thanks to her gutsy and amazing play, we made it to the championship game, out of the loser’s bracket, and forced a final championship game, only to lose. It was exciting nonetheless.

So all in all, I won a share of the golf tournament and finished second in the pitch tournament, in my second family reunion. I can honestly say, I don’t believe in the sophomore slump/jinx/curse. Oh, and by the way, I am hoping to start teaching others to play pitch so to start training for two years out. You can never start too early.

It truly was a wonderful vacation, exhausting, but great to visit a close-knit family, separated by many, many miles. Can’t wait for 2010!
Brad

No comments: