Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Not just another Easter...

Is it possible that work can be recreation or at the least, re-creation. After Sunday, I definitely believe it can. What a joy to worship the Lord on Easter Sunday. In the past, I have struggled with Easter. I have felt that it wasn’t fair that everyone gets to come and share the joy of Easter, but then all the Sundays between Easter and Christmas and then continuing to the following Easter, we have so many empty pews in the sanctuaries across the nation. It doesn’t seem fair that many people miss the day to day struggles of the church and what it means to be in community with one another, but then show up to sing “Up From the Grave He Arose”. It doesn’t seem right that very few show up during Lent for services, and even less for Holy Week, the time we honor Christ preparing for the cross, giving a new commandment and that fateful Friday of suffering, but yet they help begin the service by responding to “Christ is Risen!” with “He is Risen Indeed!”. You see what I mean when I say I have struggled with Easter?

But this year was different. Maybe it was our recent trip to the Holy Land. Maybe it was a recent struggle with the call. Or maybe it was just God jumping in and shaking things up in our lives a little bit. But something was different. All of those reasons of why I struggle with Easter are the very reasons why Easter is so important. Because everyone can come, because God loves humanity so much that even when we turn our backs, God is still waiting there with open arms, ready to grab hold of us. On Sunday, I told the congregation at my church this: “It is a joy to celebrate this day with you. Traditionally, this is an important day for families to be together, to dress up and to celebrate. For most of us it is an important day for us and our individual faith in Jesus Christ. But this Sunday, more than any other, is important for all of humanity. We join with believers around the world affirming that Christ redeemed all humanity and all of us have been loved by God so much that he sent his Son. Today is important because the whole world is included in God’s redeeming grace.” Or at least that is what I hope came out of my mouth. I’m not really sure if it was or not.

Regardless what I said or didn’t say, what was heard or what went unheard, this Easter was a time of re-creation. I hope it was for everyone else as well. Christ is Risen! He is Risen Indeed! Alleluia!

No comments: